- Every competitor needs to complete and sign a registration/disclaimer before competing (on the day)
SAFETY AND RIGHT OF WAY
- Safety and fair play are the most important aspects of the competition. Unsafe competitors will be disqualified. Leeward (downwind) kiteboards have right of way, therefore Windward kiteboards should not jump when a leeward kiteboard is close to them.
- Opposite Tack: a) When two kiteboards in opposite tacks cross each other, the windward kiteboard should keep his kite high while a leeward kiteboard should keep his kite down to avoid a tangle. b) When two kiteboards are in opposite tacks and equally upwind, the Starboard kiteboard (right hand tack – right foot forward when riding heelside) has right of way over the port kiteboard.
- Starboard kiteboard: should cross-upwind keeping the kite high while the port kiteboard should cross downwind keeping the kite low.
- Transitions: a) A kiteboard changing tack should keep clear of other kiteboards on a tack. b) Kiteboards doing transition jumps should watch for kiteboards behind them before attempting a transition jump.
- Kiteboards should stay clear of the competition area when not competing.
- During the transition period, a kiteboard entering the competition area to compete has right of way over a kiteboard returning to the shore.
- Crash Flag: When a rider takes a hard crash (where he doesn’t land, big spray, seems K.O. or waves for help etc..) Head judge can make a call to raise the ”crash flag”. When this flag rises the heat will be postponed for at least 1 minute. When this flag rises the MC’s will make sure all the riders in the heat and crew on the beach know there could be someone in trouble.
COMPETITION NOTICE BOARD
- Any changes in the instructions will be posted on the Competition Notice Board. All competitors have the responsibility of checking the Competition Notice Board periodically for any changes.
- Each competitor is responsible for checking his/her heat number. This will be posted on the Competition Notice Board, at least 15 minutes before the start of the first heat.
COMPETITION LYCRA VEST
- Competitors are required to wear the official lycra vest during their heats (provided on the day). After the competitor has completed his heat, the lycra vest must be returned to the beach marshal when returning to the beach.
- No limitation. It is the sole responsibility of the rider to choose and use appropriate equipment for his safety and the safety of third-party.
- Use of impact vest compulsory: It will be compulsory for all athletes to wear a proper impact-vest during the competition, (provided on the day or use your own)
HEATS AND ELIMINATION FORMAT
- The Contest Director will make the decision about the suitability of the conditions for running heats.
- The contest will be run in 2 rounds of heats of 2-3 riders (depending on numbers). The aim of the contest is to see which kiter can jump the highest. A Woo will be mounted on each kiters board to measure jump height. At the end of round 1 the kiters in the top ½ of the field will go into round 2. At the end of round 2 the top 4 jumps go into the final.
Heats of 8 min. duration with 2-3 riders in each heat (depending on numbers)
Riders in each heat are launched and get on the water.
Riders will be given approximately 1 minute to warm up on the water.
After the 1 min warm up an air horn will blow and a green flag go up to indicate the start of the heat.
Riders then go for their highest jump.
After 8 min. the air horn will blow and the red flag will go up. The heat is over and riders come in. Jumps are recorded.
At the end of round 1 the top ½ of the riders will be entered in to round 2.
Same format as round 1.
At the end of round 2 the top 4 kiters will go into final.
Top 4 Jumpers from the heats are into the final round.
4 Jumpers at one time going for biggest jump.
Same format as the heats.
Once the riders are on the water an air horn will indicate the start of the competition, and a green flag will go up.
Riders will have 8 minutes to go for their highest jump.
At the end of 8 minutes the air horn will sound again and the red flag will go up.
Riders are to stop jumping at the sound of the horn and come off the water.
Jump heights will be recorded off the Woo’s.
- The duration and format of the heats will be confirmed by the Contest Director before the start of the competition. If needed these times will be modified at any time.
- The Contest Director may postpone a heat before the starting signal for any reason.
- The Contest Director may abandon a heat: After the starting signal because of insufficient wind, or for other reasons directly affecting the fairness of the competition, or for safety reasons.
- GENERAL ATTITUDE. This is a friendly event. Have fun and Smile!
- Riding in a manner that can be considered to be dangerous or a threat to the safety of other competitors will not be tolerated.